Information and communication technologies (ICT) are driving forward the digital transformation of the entire economy of North Rhine-Westphalia
Information technology industry helps entrepreneurs, researchers, and investors in shaping the development of Industry4.0
IT/ICT industry creates new opportunities for creating value and employment with ever-evolving new innovations
NRW’s ICT industry has companies ranging from medium-sized IT companies to software start-ups to telecommunications giants.
North Rhine-Westphalia – An Economic Heavyweight In Technology
- NRW has the highest number of technology companies among other German states
- The first European blockchain institute is being established in NRW
- NRW is one of the hotspots for IT security in Germany
- The largest association of the Internet industry in Europe has its headquarters in the city Cologne of NRW
NRW – Shaping The Digital Revolution
The future is digital!
- NRW is one of the best locations for investing in digital transformation as the state offers strong industrial structures and many innovative IT companies and research facilities
- Outstanding expertise in science and industry contributes to the development of IT security solutions for large systems in NRW
- NRW’s Ruhr area, especially Bochum has the largest number of companies in Germany which provides IT security services
- North Rhine-Westphalia’s “Digital Economy NRW” initiative is a platform for establishing a bridge between founders, science, and industry. Also, the govt is supporting the start-up initiative in the IT/ICT sector.
NRW- Industry 4.0 Hub
- Europe’s largest logistics research project – efficiency cluster LogistikRuhr is in NRW
- One of the world’s leading research institutes for logistics and cellular transport systems- the Fraunhofer Institute (IML) is in Dortmund
- NRW is home to the invention of industrial minicomputer MICA
- One of the biggest initiatives for Industry 4.0 in Germany – itsOWL is in NRW
- NRW being an industrial state, it is suitable in shaping the future of industrial production
Research Project “Competence Center 5G.NRW” (CC5G.NRW)
What is CC5G.NRW?
- NRW Aims To Develop North Rhine-Westphalia Into The Lead Market For 5G.
- Reduces Technical Entry Barriers For Companies
- Develops Economic Potential For Various Vertical Markets
- Speeds Up Innovation Diffusion
The Competence Center 5G.NRW is supported by 4 strong partners-
- Bergische Universität Wuppertal
- University of Duisburg-Essen
- Technical University of Dortmund
- FIR involved in the RWTH Aachen University
What CC5G.NRW Offers?
- Analysis and processing of current 5G development
- Information on 5G locations, projects, test fields, and demonstration centers
- Implementation of 5G application cases with small and medium-sized enterprises
- Validation of 5G key features, integration with non-5G technologies
- Identification of transferability potential of 5G-based innovations
- Establishment and development of a sustainable 5G innovation network
- Efficient and effective support for the planned 5G
NRW – Promoting the Digital Economy
North Rhine-Westphalia supports various measures to improve the framework conditions for the digital economy
Various Measures Include-
- DWNRW Hubs – Promotion of 6 regional centers for the Digital Economy NRW.
- DWNRW Networks – Supports digital economy networks of the metropolises of NRW
- SeedCap Digital Economy – Participation program of NRW.BANK, which provides start-up capital for digital start-ups
- DWNRW-Fonds2Fonds – NRW.BANK’s venture capital investments for the later start-up and growth of the digital economy
- DWNRW Award – Prize awarded by the Ministry of Economy for innovative business ideas and outstanding success in digital transformation
- DWNRW Advisory Council – Advises the state government on the implementation of its agenda for the digital economy
Digital Model Regions in NRW
- Progress in digitization has become an important location factor in NRW.
- By using digital strategies, the region can become faster, better and more attractive in the technology sector.
- “Digital Model Regions in NRW” aims to further accelerate digitization in the regions and municipalities with innovative projects in the field of “digital urban development”
- By the end of 2021, it is expected that about 91 million euros in federal funding will be available for digitization
5 model regions in NRW-
- Leitkommune city of Soest
- Leitkommune city of Paderborn
- Leitkommune Wuppertal
- Leitkommune Aachen
- Leitkommune Gelsenkirchen
Facts About NRW’s Technology Industry
- Presence of more than 239000 ICT companies
- A workforce of 215,400 people in ICT
- ICT Industry’s Sales – Around €103 billion
- A workforce of 183,000 people in IT
- IT Industry’s Sales – Around € 46 billion
- A workforce of 183,000 people in Telecommunications
- Telecommunication Industry’s Sales – Around €54 billion
- Around 21% of all German companies in the field of information and communication technology (ICT) have their headquarters in NRW
- Around 85,000 students are in the field of technology which is perfect for creative ideas and for enhancing the technology sector